Unspoken Conversations are the topics that are often swept under the carpet, whispered amongst the closest of friends and bitched about by many. I want to create awareness about difficult things that people face in life; grief, mental health, money, illnesses, family troubles, relationship difficulties and putting yourself first. I want to tell the truth about things that really matter.

Thursday 7 June 2012

Why you should never take your family for granted.

 





Three weeks ago I almost lost my Dad.

He had a major heart attack.

Seeing him lying there still and lifeless in emergency in the Royal Adelaide Hospital is an image I will never forget. 

My Dad. Ten Men. The ox. The provider for our family. The man. The strong one.

I was so selfish.

I was angry and frustrated at him.

Why didn’t he quit smoking after his last heart attack? 

Doesn’t he appreciate his family? 

Doesn’t he want to be there to walk my sister and I down the aisle? 

We always knew that he’d make a better grandfather then a father because he'd have the opportunity to be around more. 

Was he going to be given that chance? 

He needs to slow down.

Please pull through Dad.

I was angry at myself.

I should’ve told him more that I loved him.

I should've told him more that I appreciate everything he’s given us and that I realise now that his hard work ethic has always been so that he can provide for his family.

Regrets. Frustration. Anger.

Mostly I just wanted him to wake up so that I could give him a big cuddle and tell him how much I loved him.



I am grateful to say that he pulled through, but not scotch free. He has to make major lifestyle changes starting with giving up smoking, light exercise and watching his diet!

But he is a different person now. A better person.

I text Dad every day to see how he’s doing.

I Facebook my sister to tell her about my silly dreams.

I free up a weekend to go shopping with my family and to just sit and watch movies with them.

 I make sure that I always let them know how much they mean to me.

Dad’s heart attack has definitely put things in to perspective for our family. Never take each other for granted.

You just never know what tomorrow might bring.

Your family will be the first to drop everything to be by your side when you’re not coping.

You can ring them and bitch and rant just to get things off of your chest and know that they won’t judge you.

You can be angry, tired and grumpy around them and they won’t think any less of you.

They will always have your best interests at heart.

 I encourage you to get in contact with your family.

 If you live away, take the time to pick up the phone and give them a ring.

If you live close, make the time to pop over and visit them, if only for 30 minutes.

 Pick some flowers for your mum.

Buy your Dad a beer at the pub.

Stir your sibling/s up and then tell them how proud of them you are.

For you never know what tomorrow might bring.

Enjoy the long weekend.

Take care of yourself and those around you and please drive safely if you are travelling.

Kirsty xxxx


2 comments:

Samara said...

Totally agree with everything you said Kirst...
xx

Samara

jjtressler said...

Love this post!

I am one of your new followers, looking forward to reading!

Mrs. T @myfrontporch1.blogspot.com