Unspoken Conversations are the topics that are often swept under the carpet, whispered amongst the closest of friends and bitched about by many. I want to create awareness about difficult things that people face in life; grief, mental health, money, illnesses, family troubles, relationship difficulties and putting yourself first. I want to tell the truth about things that really matter.

Tuesday 24 July 2012

I almost lost my life to Depression.

Me, happy and loving life.
 In the media TODAY! Check out this article It made me realise that it was time to speak up.


I almost lost my life to Depression.

Yes, I'm talking about that word that is avoided by the media, labels people as selfish and creates a tsunami effect for those left behind.

Suicide.

Me.

Same sentence.

Shock. Gasps. Disbelief. Tears. Many tears.

And me? I don't remember a thing. Not the lead up, not the event, not being rushed to the hospital and certainly not being in intensive care.

Nothing. Zilch.

I'm one of the lucky ones who is still here today to tell my story hence why I created my blog.

Insanely lucky.

Why?

Because it's about time suicide is given a voice. For too long it has been kept quiet. Brushed aside. Swept under the carpet. IT HAPPENS. And more regularly then you think. We need to start talking about it. It validates a life.


THE FACTS from the Australian Bureau of Statistics

There were 22,526 suicide deaths registered in Australia over the 10 years between 2001 and 2010. Suicide accounts for 1.7% of the 1,357,537 deaths due to all causes which occurred over this period. This chapter contains summary statistics on deaths registered in Australia where the underlying cause of death was determined as Intentional self-harm (suicide, X60-X84, Y87.0). 
How did I almost die?

A prescription medication overdose.

What was I thinking?

I wasn't. Nothing. Numb.

Depression had taken over my body and controlled my thoughts. 

Am I crying while writing this? 

Bawling would be the word. My heart breaks. 

BUT I am determined to create awareness about the seriousness of mental health.

I am no longer ashamed of my illness. 

I AM ASHAMED THAT WE AS A SOCIETY, DON'T TALK ABOUT IT ENOUGH!

Maybe we need to change the wording. Maybe we should say that DEPRESSION CLAIMS LIVES. NOT suicide. It's not the person who commits the act. It's the illness.

Does this change your perspective on the matter?

Depression. It can happen to anyone at anytime.

Please seek help. PLEASE speak to someone. Anyone. It doesn't have to be someone close to you. Please pick up the phone.

Look after yourself and those around you,

Kirsty xxxx

My rock and the kid that keeps me smiling :)


How can I get urgent help via Beyond Blue?

If you or someone you know is at risk of harming themselves or someone else it is important you get help immediately. You can take the first step in doing this by:
  • Speaking to your doctor (GP or psychiatrist)
  • Calling the Psychiatric Team at your nearest hospital
  • Calling Lifeline 13 11 14 or Suicide Helpline (Victoria only) 1300 651 251
  • If the person is threatening to harm you call the police on 000 (triple zero).
Some tips for getting urgent help include:
  • Express the urgency of the matter without becoming aggressive
  • Speak clearly
  • Give the health professional specific examples of concerns
  • Give a brief history of self harm or harm to others
  • Ensure that you listen to their advice
  • If they are unable to help, ask them why and who you should contact
   



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kirsty, you are so brave. Thankyou for sharing your story to help others!

Unknown said...

I don't know if brave is the word. I'm just a normal person who is just as scared as anyone would be to talk about this topic. BUT I want to validate my illness. I WANT others to know that it happens to people they know, and more frequently then they'd like to admit.

I want the media to start taking a stance.

If I can't talk about it, and in a forum like my blog where my aim is to talk openly about things that matter...then where can we?

Deep breaths!!!

Audrey said...

I, for one, am extremely glad that you are still here to tell your story Kirsty. You are a remarkable young woman, with so much wit, intelligence, humour, energy and wisdom to share with us. I really like you. It would have been a terrible tragedy to lose you to an illness that can be managed with the right kind of knowledge, education and helps in place. You are a brilliant example of someone who is living a full and exciting life with your illness well under control and excellently managed. All power to you my friend.

Unknown said...

Thanks Audrey. You truly have been an angel and a HUGE help. I do really like you very much :)

You have helped me to accept and move on from the things that happened in the past.

It just makes me so sad that there's people out there who weren't as fortunate as me.

This blog is to them.