Unspoken Conversations are the topics that are often swept under the carpet, whispered amongst the closest of friends and bitched about by many. I want to create awareness about difficult things that people face in life; grief, mental health, money, illnesses, family troubles, relationship difficulties and putting yourself first. I want to tell the truth about things that really matter.

Sunday 12 August 2012

Today: a poem for people suffering from Depression

Today I'm not going to think about tomorrow,
I'm just going to take each hour as it comes.
I'm going to place one foot in front of the other,
And acknowledge that today I probably won't run.

Today I'm going to start by hauling myself out of bed.
As I lift my body from the soft mattress,
I'm going to praise myself instead.

Today I'm going to enjoy the warmth of the water in the shower.
When I stand on my two feet,
I'll feel a sense of achievement, control and power.

Today I'm going to brush my hair and dress myself in nice clothes.
I'm going to kiss goodbye to my PJs and replace them with panty hoes.

Today I'll choose a shirt that I love to wear,
Because it'll make me feel comfortable in my own skin.
And when I'm feeling comfortable,
Then I know that a light shines from within.

Today I'll leave my room and I'll force myself to smile.
I'll potter around the house doing chores,
And I'll acknowledge that it's all worthwhile.

Today I'll go for a walk and I'll call a friend for a chat.
I'll keep myself busy,
Because I know that I love that.

Today l'll take my time as I move from one hour into another.
And I'll make sure that I go easy on myself,
Because I know that it does matter.

Today I'll eat three meals; breakfast lunch and tea.
Even if it's only two minute noodles,
Then that will do for me.

Today I'll accept that I'm not well,
And that, that's okay.
Today I'll acknowledge to myself that I'll return to full health by focusing on just one day.

Today I'm not going to think about tomorrow or the past.
Today I'm going to acknowledge that I'm one step closer to feeling like myself,
And that these horrible feelings won't last.

Look after yourself and those around you,

Kirsty xxxx



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful and encouraging kirsty . Did you find this poem or make it up yourself? It's really lovely - great reminder to take each moment as it comes and live in the moment . I love the quote - do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will take care of itself . Have a lovely week xx

Unknown said...

Hey sweety,

I whipped it up in my head while painting hahaha I'm a little rusty around the edges. Might go back and make some of the paragraphs flow a little better. Buttttt I wanted to show people an insight in to the daily struggle that Depression sufferers have and to also remind us that we should savour every moment and LIVE IN THE MOMENT...not the past or future :) It's much more manageable and enjoyable that way. Thank you for your kind words, they mean the world to me.

jennifer said...

Would you mind if I shared this on Facebook?