Unspoken Conversations are the topics that are often swept under the carpet, whispered amongst the closest of friends and bitched about by many. I want to create awareness about difficult things that people face in life; grief, mental health, money, illnesses, family troubles, relationship difficulties and putting yourself first. I want to tell the truth about things that really matter.

Monday 3 December 2012

Accepting a Compliment


Via


Compliment: an expression of praise, commendation, or admiration: A sincere compliment boosts one's morale (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/compliment?s=t) .

Learning to accept a compliment is one of the best things that you can do to improve your self confidence.

You work hard – yes?

You respect other people – yes?

You try to be the best possible person that you can be – yes?

Then a compliment is just someone acknowledging these qualities within you and verbalising them to you.

It’s okay to have a giddy smile on your face when someone showers you with words of praise.

It’s okay to say nothing in return but thank you and secretly pat yourself on your back and to do a silly dance inside.

You must learn not to be so harsh on yourself – treat yourself how you would like others to treat you.

I must admit that I used to have little to no self confidence in myself. I would bite my tongue when I really wanted to blurt my opinion out, when someone would give me a compliment I’d brush it off, or worse, think that they were saying it because I WASN’T capable.

But something changed after I was sick last year – I realised that in order to be happy and confident I had to monitor “my self talk” (you know that little voice inside of your head), which included accepting compliments.

Once I did this – my confidence grew, and now I have done things, met people, and experienced a new level of happiness that I’ve never felt before.

You deserve to be complimented- you deserve to be patted on the back – you deserve to be kind to yourself.

So next time someone gives you a compliment and you don’t know what to say and do, simply pause, smile, say thank you, and give yourself permission to bask in the glory – I promise you’ll have a little spring in your step, and you’ll soon watch your confidence grow.

Look after yourself and those around you,


Kirsty xxx

No comments: