Unspoken Conversations are the topics that are often swept under the carpet, whispered amongst the closest of friends and bitched about by many. I want to create awareness about difficult things that people face in life; grief, mental health, money, illnesses, family troubles, relationship difficulties and putting yourself first. I want to tell the truth about things that really matter.

Sunday 13 January 2013

Smoking: There are No Excuses.

Seriously, what girl would deny a cigarette if it makes you keep a slender figure? *old school advertising!* Via
Modern day cigarette advertisements Via



There are no excuses for generation y's and beyond for smoking.

We know the dangers.

We know that with each cigarette that we light we are not only shortening our life, but we are forcing those around us to inhale the disgusting chemicals straight into their lungs.

I understand that smoking is a hard habit and addiction to break. I understand that often the smoker is dealing with high levels of stress or an event in their lives where they feel they need an outlet, and drawing back hard on a cancer stick gives them that relief. I understand that they often need help, and lots of it, to break the cycle.

What I don't understand is why they even pick up a cigarette in the first place. 

What I don't understand is when they think it's cool and social to do so.

What I don't understand is that they can't see how selfish they are being, and what they are really gambling with?

Maybe I'm so against smoking because it almost took my fathers life at the rip age of 51.

Yup, that's right, smoking almost robbed me of a father to walk me down the aisle. 

It almost robbed my future children of a grandfather.

It almost robbed my father of a retirement after working so hard all of his life.

I have seen first hand what smoking can do, and if you want to lie in bed, lifeless, on machines keeping you alive after a major heart attack, or to have your lungs removed after cancer, go ahead, light another cigarette.

Just remember what you are gambling with.

There are better outlets for stress.

What do you think about smoking? 

Look after yourself and those around you,

Kirsty xxx

PS in no way do I hate the people who smoke, I just dislike the habit!!!


No comments: