Unspoken Conversations are the topics that are often swept under the carpet, whispered amongst the closest of friends and bitched about by many. I want to create awareness about difficult things that people face in life; grief, mental health, money, illnesses, family troubles, relationship difficulties and putting yourself first. I want to tell the truth about things that really matter.

Tuesday 8 October 2013

Real Life Mental Health Stories Coming At Ya!

ABC OPEN

Mental Health Week: I'm a country bloke with depression



Enjoying life with my gorgeous wife Milly


So this week is mental health week, and one that is obviously incredibly close to my heart.

Soooooooooooo I decided to contact ABC Open to see if they'd be interested in running stories throughout the week in hope that by sharing people's experiences, we can make it easier to speak up, seek help and raise awareness about illnesses that impact communities all over the world.

Fortunately, I had some super brave souls who put up their hands and offered to share their stories.

I seriously take my hat off to these people, and as I read their stories, my heart literally ached, because I've been there; I've been to the deepest depths, where darkness surrounded my life and there was no light, or hope in sight.

I know that when you are right down there in the darkest of dark, nothing anybody says or does can make you feel better until you accept that you have an illness and seek the appropriate medical and psychologist advice and assistance to begin to claw your way out.

When I was there, I was ashamed to speak up, and now that makes me feel ashamed.

Yes, that's right, I'm not ashamed that I have suffered from Depression and Anxiety; what I am ashamed of is that I hid my feelings away from those closest to me, when all those closest to me wanted to help.

So this week, I'm going to post links to the ABC Open website so that you can read the stories of the super brave heroes, who are in various stages of their battle with depression, from accepting their illness, to dealing with it, and eventually moving on.

I have suffered from Depression.

I am not ashamed.

I am proud that I have conquered an illness that takes more will power, guts and determination then any other battle that I have ever fought.

I am strong, happy and healthy, and I will never take those things for granted.

Help me to break down the stigma around Mental Health.

Help me to help others seek the help that they need.

Help me to help people accept, deal with and move on from their illnesses (or at least learn how to cope, and help others).

Look after yourself and those around you,

Kirsty xxxx

No comments: