Unspoken Conversations are the topics that are often swept under the carpet, whispered amongst the closest of friends and bitched about by many. I want to create awareness about difficult things that people face in life; grief, mental health, money, illnesses, family troubles, relationship difficulties and putting yourself first. I want to tell the truth about things that really matter.

Monday 27 January 2014

Vlog; Speaking Face to Face about Depression



I have always envied those who have the courage to speak in public. I studied to be a teacher and the only reason that I am not teaching today is because I am terrified of public speaking. I have even tried to overcome my fear by attending professional development courses. These helped to change the way I speak about my feelings associated with public speaking from being "nervous"to "excited and stimulated". 

While I have thoroughly enjoyed writing about my experience with mental health, my ultimate aim is to be able to share my story in front of groups of people. 

I know words and writing can be extremely powerful, but I truly believe that writing does "lose"some of it's emotive power if you can't see the expressions on the persons face. We know that we can often misinterpret things written on facebook, via text or email because you might take "words the wrong way", so I really want to be able to speak openly about my experience to add depth, power, and personality to my experience so that people know I am a real person, who has truly lived this experience and survived, and not some computer generated person who is someone making up their story.

I can hide behind my ipad while writing, and I can shelter my tears and emotions from public view, but it's time to step out of my comfort zone and begin to talk, face to face, about my experience.

Here's my first attempt at tackling this challenge.

Today you get to see the raw emotion on my face.

Look after yourself and those around you,

Kirsty xxxx 

No comments: