Unspoken Conversations are the topics that are often swept under the carpet, whispered amongst the closest of friends and bitched about by many. I want to create awareness about difficult things that people face in life; grief, mental health, money, illnesses, family troubles, relationship difficulties and putting yourself first. I want to tell the truth about things that really matter.

Sunday 8 February 2015

Becoming Mentally Fit; Will Hypnosis Cure My Public Speaking Anxiety?

I saw this and giggled (1. because I love tacos, 2. because it's so goddamned cute!) Via
I'm on my way, from misery to happiness a heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - uh huh, uh huh, uh huh, uh huh, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!!!


Okay okay, so maybe I should be singing "I'm on way, from pissing myself thinking about public speaking to taking control of my fearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" uh huh, uh huh, uh huh, uh huh, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!


Anxiety comes in all shapes and forms. For some, it's the shape of a big, beady eyed, hairy legged spider that's best form is squished into the ground, while for others it's the thought of crashing into the sea while on board a plane, and finding yourself clinging onto debris with sharks circling around, that causes their body to go into melt down!


For me, it's public speaking that turns me weak at the knees, makes me feel dizzy, and leaves me unable to think about or concentrate on anything else.


Haha this pretty much sums up my anxiety! Via

But enough's enough! I'm taking charge of my life, standing up to my fear, and showing it who is boss; yup, that's right, I've committed to two hypnotherapy sessions with the amazing Chantelle Smith from Indigo Phoenix Hypnotherapy.



 Indigo Phoenix


Life's too short to let fear take control; particularly when it is stopping you from achieving your goals.


This is all part of my goal to create a healthier, happier me, by freeing myself of the anxieties that are holding me back! I want to be mentally fit, so I have made the choice to do something about it! For so long I have avoided public speaking like the plague, or I find myself biting my tongue and shyly agreeing, meanwhile losing sleep, doing a little bit of wee in my pants, and feeling like I have neon signs above my head alerting everyone to the fact that I'm experiencing a mental breakdown (anyone else ever felt this way?)


I know for some people, they're happy living their life with their phobia because it doesn't affect them on a day to day basis, or hold them back from achieving their goals (not everyone wants a pet snake!), but when you find yourself turning down opportunities, closing doors and hiding away from your dreams because you're frightened into inaction, then enough is enough!


Giggle - okay so I usually grab life by the balls but I thought this was pretty funny! Look out life! Via
So I made it a personal goal of mine in 2015 to face the fears that had been holding me back, and right on top of my to do list was to do everything in my power to confidently give public speaking a crack.

But how was I going to tackle my problem? In the past I'd still given it a go, despite my fears, but felt like I had totally missed the mark and walked away a blubbering mess. So even though practice makes perfect, I knew that I needed a little bit of extra help to guide me along the way.

And just when I'd thrown all of my cards in the air; something stuck - hypnotherapy!

I'd heard so many amazing things about hypnotherapy, like one friend who cured her fear of flying in just 2 sessions. She got to the point where she had crossed travelling overseas off of her bucket list, and started missing out on special events in Adelaide because she just couldn't bring herself to board a plane. After missing one of her close friends birthdays, she realised it was time to take control of her phobia, because she didn't want it to hold her back anymore. She booked in to see Chantelle, and within 2 sessions she was taking pictures out of the plane's window and helping other people who were suffering on board!



Another friend had a pain free, yes, you heard right, a PAIN free birth, after learning the tools and techniques of hypnobirthing! Yes, there's a photo of her in labour looking so relaxed and beautiful that she could be in the Bahamas floating around on an inflatable lay back chair with a cocktail in hand!


Seriously - look how gorgeous she looks and she's in labour...the power of hypnobirthing!
I want what she's having!!!


Clearly not using hypnobirthing! Via
Even thought I'd heard so much about hypnotherapy I still didn't really know how it worked (and just had this image in my head of me setting paralysed in a chair with my head moving from side to side focusing on a swaying watch!)

Via
However after some research *cough a coffee date with the gorgeous Chantelle cough*  my understanding of how hypnotherapy works is like this;


In my mind I have created all of these negative images, thoughts and feelings related to public speaking;


-It scares me - People will judge me

-It makes me nervous

-What if I make a mistake? 

-What if I don't make sense?

-I feel uncomfortable

-I stress out

-What if I forget what I'm saying?

- I feel dizzy


While in a hypnotic state, we take away all of these negative attachments to public speaking, and replace them with positive images, thoughts and feelings;

-I can engage others.

-I can speak confidently.

-I know what I'm talking about.

-I can share knowledge and information.

-I am capable.

-People will respond positively.

-I will feel satisfied.

This helps to take away the power of your negative experiences and thoughts, and provides you with a positive experience with public speaking, so that you feel more confident the next time you engage a group of people.

I am truly so excited to give hypnotherapy a crack and I can't wait to feel like nothing is holding me back anymore!

Look out world; I'm coming to get you!

To be continued....... (watch this space!)

I'm going to share my experience with you.

Have you ever thought of using hypnotherapy to cure your fear or phobia?

Ps I really recommend checking out Chantelle's website for my info! 

There's no time like the present.

Look after yourself and those around you,

Kirsty xxxx


No comments: